Wednesday, October 9, 2013

So .... I got arm barred

I got arm barred at practice on Sunday. I am not one of those assholes who believes that practice is a tournament. If you are working out with someone and they catch you, tap. The same thing if you are being thrown, take the fall. I think it is fine to turn out of it if you can, but doing something stupid like sticking your arm out and dislocating it is just that, stupid. So, no one wins practice because it is just that, practice.

Still, someone arm barred me and it would have taken an unreasonable amount of effort to get out of it. And I think he is only 13 (he might be 14 because he's in high school). He's been coming to practice at the West Coast Judo Training Center for five years and he's bigger than me now. The fact is, he caught me. At first, I wasn't sure whether to be upset that I was getting old and slow or proud that Nathan is getting fast and good. I decided to be proud.

Way to go, Nathan!

How is it possible that I don't have a picture of him. Nathan, do you hide when I am taking pictures for this blog, or what?



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann Maria,

Did you teach Ronda how to flip off people with the middle finger? That is vulgar and stupid - high school antics.

I have notice that you use profanity just like Ronda. Using profanity just makes one look ignorant. "The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree."

The Budo Bum said...

Thanks for posting this. It is a wonderful attitude that I wish I saw more of.

Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said...

Thank you for blogging Ann Maria. I've just discovered your blog, and as a female fighter it gives me great perspective to be reading the mother of a fighter who has given her all.

Sylver said...

@Ann maria:
This article made me think about your transition from competitor to coach.

When (how?) did you know you were ready to quit competition and teach and train for the fun of it?

@Sylvie
Fancy meeting someone from CM here.

johnlichtenstein said...

From the way you wrote this, I can tell that you are proud, as you should be.

I remember the last time my dad beat me at chess. He had taught me when I was in the 1st grade, and won every game till then, in the 9th grade. But my play had gotten better and it was the first time that I really understood how outmatched I was. I wasn't making any obvious mistakes but just a few moves into the game I saw that any move would be a mistake and that I was just stuck.

I spent a month that summer playing with a kid a year ahead of me in school 6 hours a day then never lost to my dad again. I'm sure he was never upset.