Saturday, December 15, 2012

Another matwork drill for transition

A few days ago, I put up a video of a matwork drill to practice transition. Even though no one commented on it, possibly evidence of lack of interest in my transition drills, that has never stopped me before.

This next video is interesting - to me - because it shows a situation that happens often in teaching. You have players at different levels. In this case, there are a couple of young players who are pretty inexperienced and there are several more players who have been doing judo, grappling and jiu jitsu for years.




What I do is teach a technique where you throw and go straight into a pin, because as you know if you have read this blog before, I harp constantly on transition, even for six-year-old white belts.

As Aristotle supposedly said,
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
So, you may as well start getting in that habit from the beginning. Our young beginning players start out doing the throw into a pin and that is all they do. Fortunately, I have the inimitable Crystal Butts helping with this drill so when we split up she can go with that pair and help them get it down perfectly.

The next part of the drill has an arm bar combination from the pin, followed by another arm bar if the opponent escapes the first one.

So, it is - throw, pin, arm bar, arm bar again.

I am just going to keep putting these transition drills up, so there!

5 comments:

Sylver said...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I checked out the previous drill with interest and I am really looking forward to the rest of the series, but I didn't have much to say in the comment section (yes, not that it has stopped me before).

Looking at the video, it seemed to be a beginner level drill (necessary but not very exciting) but I haven't had a chance to try it, I could be mistaken. If it's too easy, I figure I can replace rolling with forward rolls and have the partner pounce on me. But since I don't have any place to train Judo seriously at the moment, the point is kinda moot.

For today's drill, is uke supposed to defend himself?

Anonymous said...

I've always believed that the best judo is found in transitions. In fact, there's a topic for a book that I have yet to see in print. Everyone knows newaza's and Nage's ippons....its getting there that is the killer....

Dr. AnnMaria said...

Hey, Sylver -
Yes, not having anything to say never stopped me, either.

Anon-
There are lots of transition drills in our book, Winning on the ground.
The proofs are finished. They are working on the front and back cover now, so it is getting closer to getting in print

Anonymous said...

Please don't ever stop posting drills.

Dr. AnnMaria said...

Obviously, anonymous, I have listened to your demands and complied.