Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Places You'll Go with Judo

I usually hate every Facebook app on principle, but I saw this one and did it just for the heck of it. I'd been to 105 of the 199 cities on their list and 13 countries. That's not even a comprehensive list, because they did not ask about Venezuela nor Tunisia, nor any cities in North Dakota or Minnesota.

Most of the cities in the U.S. have been for work, but all of the international travel has been for judo, either to compete or train myself or watch Ronda compete. Several of the U.S. cities were for competition,  too.

(Planning some international travel for work starting this year - woohoo! )



Sometimes I think people keep competing in judo long after their peak competitive years just because they like to travel. There's nothing wrong with that if you can afford it and are not taking money from your parents or a second mortgage on your house to do it.

Also, if you note the number of cities scattered across the U.S. - and that's not even a complete list - my advice is that if you like to travel domestically, consulting is probably a good career for you.

On the other hand, if you don't like traveling, choose a different sport and a different profession.

See what you get here, advice on judo and career planning. I try to run a full-service blog.

5 comments:

plam said...

I sure prefer business travel (conferences, research collaborations) to competition travel. After all, the insides of most gyms tend to look alike, and it's hard to eat adequately before weigh-in. On the other hand, for conference travel, one can see the place and eat stuff, and the costs might even not come directly from one's pocket.

I was talking to a ski racer on a plane once. They get to see a lot of cute mountain villages, which I suspect is more compelling than gymnasia.

Dr. AnnMaria said...

I made it a point when traveling to schedule some time to SEE the place. I used to run a lot when I competed - cut weight - so I have run along lakes in Austria, done sprints on the roof of a building in the Panamerican village and more. Same with business - I try to visit the Smithsonian whenever I am in Washington, get to the Shedd Aquarium or Field Museum in Chicago and so on.

plam said...

I guess that's one way to leverage cutting weight. I usually run for 15 minutes in the gym before weigh-in, which is fortunately enough most of the time.

On my next tournament trip I'm going to see the local university & give a talk.

Dr. AnnMaria said...

Well, you are obviously much closer to weight than I used to be. I'd end up running every day wherever I was, usually for at least half an hour.

iffatali said...

As I visited the various neighborhoods in the campaign, I learned fast that it's a mistake to think that all of the wisdom and possible solutions to our problems are available only in this building.
Flights to Harare
Cheap Flights to Harare
Cheap Air Tickets to Harare